November 1, 2011

Two Months...

seems more like two weeks... and forever.

It's already been two months since our baby boy was born. I think it's been the fastest two months of my life. When my third baby was born, I felt like the months following his birth were the fastest of my life. With each additional child added to our family, the time just seems to be passing more quickly. But even though the time since having this sweet baby boy enter our lives has flown by, it seems like I've known him for an eternity. I have a hard time remembering what it felt like to only know three of our children, rather than four. It just feels like he's always been part of our family.

I'm sure that the reason time seems to be passing more and more quickly is because we just keep getting busier. I'm not sure how this happens, but even though two months seems like just two weeks, one day can seem like forever sometimes. I must admit, I have moments when I dream about the days when my kids will be all grown-up, and my house will be as clean as I want it to be, and I'll be able to do whatever I want or need to do without interruption, and do all those things that just seem too hard to do while raising young children.

But when I imagine that future clean and organized home and life, I am very much aware that I am really going to miss all those little dinosaurs, ponies and cheerios strewn all over the place. I'll miss the sticky hands and chins to clean. I'll miss the little hugging arms. I'll miss the noise... because with all those cries, whines, and yells come laughter, singing and cute conversations, so yup, I'll even miss the noise. Adding a fourth child has not been a huge adjustment, but it does mean more to do throughout the day... one more mouth to feed, more diapers to change, more messes to clean, more noise, and more hair pulled out... but also more joy.

On the surface, our life seems messy, loud and stressful. But just a little deeper, there is something else. And I'm the lucky girl that gets to feel it, even among all the chaos. It's not always easy to find, but if I just remember to try, I can always find it. It's a feeling of serenity and love, that despite the speed of the passing time, is eternal. Our life may look like a mess, but in that mess there is bliss.
Blessed bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment